Monday 17 March 2008

Ten of the best: 2 Endnote

The medical librarian's top 10 information resources continues with Endnote

Ten of the best: 2 Endnote

Have you ever written a paper and found that formatting the bibliography has taken almost as long as writing the text? Perhaps you could benefit from using reference management software such as Endnote which does all the fiddly formatting for you. Endnote is a piece of software which allows you to manage your references and generate and format a bibliography using different styles, eg Vancouver,  Harvard or a style compatible with a medical journal. It allows the import of references from databases such as Medline which can then be used on a cite while you write basis within Word.

Connecting on campus

  • Select start

  • Applications (you may need to select the load applications menu)

  • Academic

  • Social sciences

  • Endnote


Using Endnote from home

You may purchase the Endnote software from CiCS but unfortunately we are not able to get a license to allow off-campus access via MUSE.

Learning to use Endnote

I am, apparently, the University Library's Endnote Oracle! I've no idea how I have got myself such a position but if you would like tuition in its use I'm the person to contact. Interested? Let me know. If there is sufficient demand I will run a course.

Vic

2 comments:

  1. I concur!! Good recommendation Vic. I used Endnote during my BMedSci year and found it indispensible. I now use the program when undertaking a literature search of any size... I find this useful as it provides an organised list of the journals I find, with links directly to the text.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love an endnote course, would be great to learn how to use it properly!

    ReplyDelete